|janecarnall (janecarnall) wrote,|
@ 2010-05-15 12:28:00
|Entry tags:||fannish meme|
Meme: Why I write fanfic
Meme from threeoranges via babydraco
"Bold any reasons that apply to you, strike out any that don't (if you feel like it), and add three reasons of your own to the bottom."
REASONS I WRITE FANFIC
1. To explore themes that I don't get to see in mass media using characters I love.
2. Because it's fun.
3. Because mass media does a crappy job of representing my
race and sexual orientation and gender. (edit: the gender reason is one of my three add-ons)
4. Because I can get more people aboard my ship writing a story than a manifesto.
5. Because TV science-fiction doesn't explore its science-fiction & fantasy premises in enough depth. (edit: the "& fantasy" reason is one of my three add-ons)
6. Because it's a gift I can give a stranger and know they will enjoy it.
7. Because I resonate emotionally with the characters I read and watch, and want to find out why by writing about it.
8. Because every tale is a universe, often with fascinating nooks and crannies that the original author never explored.
9. Because I've made some of my best and dearest friends through this very wacky hobby. (Edit: though I've also made some of my wackiest enemies through this hobby.)
10. Because the characters the creator made are fascinating, and I want to see more of them.
11. Because writing as a communal experience is amazing.
12. Because I can.
13. Because some characters were simply meant to be together, even if they have to hop story universes for it to happen. (Picard/Bagoas OTP!)
14. Because simply practising the art of writing strengthens the muscle. (there's nothing "simply" about it)
15. Because there's nothing that cries out for fanfic more loudly than an unsatisfying ending.
16. Because I don't feel like waiting an indefinite amount of time to find out what people think of my story. (This would certainly be true if it applied, but mostly I find I have to wait that indefinite amount of time regardless.)
17. Because I'm broke and it's a free activity.
18. Because I've got a story to tell.